Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Online Class

There are two techniques I have never tried while painting before. The first is using a grid to aid with the drawing - example below... 


The second is painting a transparent under-coat - example below...


 
I have under-painted many times while painting with watercolors. That technique in watercolor is called glazing.  I have never glazed or under-painted while oil painting. Typically, what I do is tint my canvas with ochre before starting an oil painting like the paintings below:


In oil painting, the technique of painting a transparent undercoat helps you to establish light and shadow areas.  It is also a background color to determine where to lay down the cool and warm areas of your painting. 
The other technique I haven't used before is gridding my canvas and image for easier drawing. I will be using this when I draw on my canvas from now on!!! I'm not sure if I'll use it for watercolor paintings since the surface of watercolor paper is very sensitive. 

Below is an example of a painting I am presently working on. The painting is of a picture I took while my husband and I were visiting Ireland. Gridding out the photo and canvas was helpful in getting the landscape and cows placed and proportioned correctly on the canvas. 




Below is the finished painting from my online painting class:

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Single Apple

  Single Apple Oil On Canvas Board 6x6 Challenge - Week #7 - Painting #12